Research is the most important thing to do before heading into Faery work and witchcraft. You want to have a lot of in depth and versatile knowledge covering many areas of the topic so you’ll be able to understand and interact with the Fair Folk! If you don’t want to work with the Fair Folk you can use this list to help yourself understand them and take the proper measure if you ever stumble upon them. I know the list could go on forever but I’m compiling the topics I find build a good foundation of understanding. I have compiled this list to give those interested guidance and a push in the right direction, it is best you do your own research before asking other’s personal knowledge and opinions!!
- Terminology ( Fae, faery, fairy, changeling, seelie, unseelie, sidhe, etc)
- The Origins of the Fae (Tuatha de Dannan, Aos Sí, Tylwyth Teg)
- Faeries in Different Cultures: Celtic (Irish, Scottish, Gaulish, French), Norse, Influences from Greek and Roman culture.
- Folklore & Myths!! ex. Oisin and Tír na nÓg , Fenian Cycle, Arthurian Legend.
- Celtic Gods, Goddesses & Heroes- strong influences and connections to the Fae
- Types of Faeries (study diverse types from pixies,brownies, pooka to Kelpies, Bwbach and Red caps) *Make sure you can at least answer who, what and where about them.
- The Otherworlds (Tir na Nog, Caer Arianrhod, Annwn, Alfheim, Svartalfheim, etc.)
- Faery Landmarks (fairy tree, fairy ring, fairy hill)
- Signs of the Fae
- Sacred Trees and Plants (Hawthorn)
- Protection!! very important
*Bonus if you learn Celtic Culture
Getting into Working with Them
- Connecting to Nature and the Land
- How to Banish Faeries & Protect yourself, house, family, etc.
- Faery Behaviour and Proper Etiquette
- Proper Offerings, How to give an Offering
- Animals associated with the Fair Folk and Why? (raven, deer, etc)
- Faery Festivals and Holidays (Samhain, Midsummer, Beltane)
- Why certain things offend them- iron, saying “thank you”,etc.
- The Courts (Seelie, Unseelie, trooping fairies, solitary)
- Setting up a Faery Altar
- How to work with them in Rituals
- Faery Flowers, herbs and crystals
- A proper and personal way to communicate with them!!this means developing psychic ability, tarot, meditation, signs, etc.
- Hagstones, heptagram/faery star
Some Good Books :)
The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries, by W. Y. Evans Wentz
Encyclopedia of Spirits by Judika Illes
Enchantment of the Faerie Realm by Ted Andrews
Faery Craft by Morgan Daimler
Celtic Mythology: Tales of Gods, Goddesses, and Heroes by Phillip Freeman
**if you have more topics, books or anything else feel free to add some!
End - x x x x x
I wish I’d had that guidance earlier. My own unsought experience...
When I first moved into my house 23 years ago, I’d hung protective sachets everywhere. In the sorting and arranging process I’d placed a chair 🪑 by the basement door. And while I was perched on a kitchen step stool to hang a sachet I’d “felt” eyes on my back so glanced over a shoulder and danged near fell over. Clear as day I saw a little man with long, unkempt hair & skinny arms & legs sitting on the chair. Deep breaths; don’t panic. So I turned to face him and said hello.
His facial expression went wide-eyed shocked, & bang, in a split second the latched basement door sprung open & the little man was gone. Hmm, that went well. Maybe being direct wasn’t the best way to go.
I closed the basement door & took a few days to 🤔 think of what to do. I realized the house had stood empty a while before I arrived and by law of squatters rights he’d been here first. I went nervously down to the basement and hung up a faceted prism in a widow & set the chair down; then I spoke out loud and told him these were for him, and that I thought we could share the house. I’d stay out of the basement except for maintenance.
He slowly materialized in front of me, eyes 👀 first and then from the feet up. I broke a sweat. His eyes were black as olives. His long hair was matted with twigs & 🍃 leaves & hung to his knees. His arms were crossed. He was about 3 ft tall. He glared at me and said to do what i want because i would any way. He sat and stared at the prism. Hmm. Gift accepted. So I nodded goodbye & went upstairs; then replaced the latch on the basement door.
I put a child sized plastic chair in the yard. Although I’ve not seen him very often I’d occasionally hear him grumble about when I’d be done poking at the grass as I was doing the yard & garden work. I’ve lost count of the number of times the garage door has opened as I approached with my hands full, & let me pass then slammed me in the butt. It’s our shared joke 😏.Thankfully, as I’ve aged the butt slams have softened greatly.
I have no right to expect him or any being to work for me in a magical way. Im not a very aggressive witch & having been a medium has taught me about mutual sovereignty. Pacts and exchanges would be the usual process I guess. I’ve seen a few different types of etheric beings & the cats chased an orb thru the house from front-to-back door. Just passing through... 😁.